Raul joined Aunt Martha’s in 1993 after serving 10 years in the United States Air Force as an Executive and Budget Officer. He worked as the organization’s Chief Financial Officer from 1993 to 2002 when he transitioned into the role of Chief Operations Officer.
Raul became Aunt Martha’s Chief Executive Officer in 2009, and was named the organization’s President & CEO in 2013.
Since assuming oversight of the agency’s operations, Raul has guided Aunt Martha’s transformation from what was primarily a child welfare and social service provider into one of Illinois’ largest integrated systems of healthcare and human services. He has become a recognized leader and proponent of integrated, value-based health care, promoting and pursuing cross-sector partnerships and collaborations.
At his core, Raul is a passionate advocate for underserved and vulnerable individuals and communities. His experience and knowledge as a leader comes not just from more than 20 years in an executive role at Aunt Martha’s, but in his work to earn three Masters degrees: a Masters of Science degree in Management Communications from Northwestern University; an MBA from the University of Chicago’s Booth Graduate School of Business; and a Masters of Science degree in Public Service from DePaul University. That work has been bolstered by his completion of the Managing Healthcare Delivery (2011), Emerging Issues in Healthcare (2013) and Value Measurement for Health Care (2014) programs at Harvard University Business School.
Raul’s leadership extends well beyond his role at Aunt Martha’s. In addition to his full-time responsibilities as Aunt Martha’s President and CEO, Raul’s commitments include:
- membership on Illinois’ Medicaid 1115 Waiver Advisory Committee
- the Board of Directors of Roseland Community Hospital
- the Board of Directors of the Illinois Collaboration on Youth
- Commissioner, Illinois Latino Family Commission
- the Community Development Committee at the Illinois Primary Health Care Association
- the Community Leadership Board of Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center
- Treasurer, Board of Managers of the Together4Health care coordination entity (CCE) (PAST)
- Vice President, Better Health Network accountable care entity (ACE) Lurie Children’s Hospital Advisory Board (PAST)